We are about a week into Phase 2 of reopening Massachusetts and so far so good. Here are a few things to keep in mind for the rental season this summer.
- Hotels and Short term rentals are in Business. Last week Governor Charlie Baker gave the thumbs up for short term rentals and instantly you could feel the island pick up. Nantucket is still recommending that tenants bring groceries and toiletries with you as Nantucket's supply is limited. You are also required to wear Masks everywhere, so please bring those as well. The Nantucket Health Department came out with cleaning guidelines for all short-term rentals as well.
- Nantucket's Beaches are Open. In fact they were never closed, and if all goes well we should still be able to enjoy the long-awaited sunshine. Please respect the social distancing guidelines even while outdoors and on the beach.
- Restaurants are opening. Over the past few months Nantucket's talented Chefs and mixologists have gotten extremely creative on how to combat the COVID dinner dilemma. Many restaurants are offering curbside pickup and delivery and have created family-style menus and cocktail kits. Massachusetts has allowed outdoor seating in Phase 2 with certain restrictions, and the town has allowed those restaurants that do not have outdoor seating to use the sidewalks and other nearby areas as a dining option. We are hopeful that in the next phase indoor dining will also be an option. THERE IS NO BAR SEATING and you are limited to parties of 6 at a table. Masks are required.
- Salons are open/opening. It was a long two plus months....we could all use a little pampering. Hair services are allowed. Services such as nails and massage will be available during Phase 2, step 2 which should be sooner than later. Masks are required for all treatments.
- Shops are open. A limited number of patrons are allowed in the stores and Masks are required. Trying things on in the dressing room is not allowed at the moment.
Things will surely be different this summer but we are on the road to getting back to the way things were. 2020 will be a throwback Nantucket summer. It will be more about BBQ's at home, enjoying the beaches, bike paths and the great outdoors, and spending time with friends and family. Things are different this year but during this crazy time we are lucky to be able to enjoy a place like Nantucket.